Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Worm Bin


I gathered together a couple of old drawers, my drill and some recycled panda plastic.



I cut out the plastic and glued it in as a liner for the drawer.
Here's me with a power tool...making holes in the bottom of the drawers.  I'm not sure the holes are big enough.  They are suppose to let the liquid byproduct out and be big enough to let the worms through.

For the bedding, I shredded and wetted a few Tri-Cities, and topped that with Foster Compost.



With any luck, the Foster compost had enough worms in it to make this all work.  I added some scraps from prep for the last few dinners.
Then I covered it all with leaves from the yard.
Until I find a better place to store the worms, I'll keep them in this large rubber bin so I can collect the liquid 
For now, the second drawer is empty.  Once the bottom drawer is full of 'black gold', or worm compost, then I'll start putting bedding and cooking scraps in the top and hopefully the holes are big enough for the worms to migrate up...leaving the gold in the bottom for me to use in the garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment