Thursday, January 9, 2014

Wanted

This picture is from http://www.whatibeproject.com/.  It is a picture of one of my favorite artists, Michael Franti.  He looks sad.  And who won't be if they felt that nobody wanted them?  I hope that Lake never feels this way.  I hope that he will always know how much he is loved and how much he is wanted.  I imagine that Michael's adoptive parents told him he was loved and wanted, and yet, it seems that he still felt that he was not....what can we do to help Lake feel secure and held and supported and loved and wanted? 
 adoption
"I am not my adoption."








2 comments:

  1. Lake is different. A big issues with adopted people is that we feel abandoned. No matter how loved we feel from our parents we still feel like we weren't good enough...not wanted, someone threw us away. Lake was created because he was wanted and loved so much. He is blessed to have the parents he has. He was a gift to many people. And he will always know this. You are an amazing Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From as early as I can remeber (~2), my parents told me I was adopted. There were books, like "The Chosen Baby", green cloth cover, that we read often. I was assured that I was wanted, had been picked out special, and the fact that I hadn't come from their bodies did not mean that I hadn't come from their hearts. Never lie. Tell him the truth, without shame or reserve. And most of all, do what my parents didn't: be prepared to love him for exactly who he is, especially when his biologies turn him into a creature that drives you nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete