Sunday, January 14, 2018

52 Week Challenge - Week Two

Week Two went really well. Although I've taken the time to plan out our hikes and park visits for the month, flexibility was the name of the game when it came to our park adventure this week.

It was raining and I was not feeling like a long drive to the planned park. So, instead of going to Marshall Park, we went to a different sort of park, we went swimming at a new-to-us indoor pool. I checked the schedule and saw that there is family swim at the East Portland Community Center on Thursdays, 11:30 - 1:00, perfect. The pool was not at all crowded, just half dozen or so families consisting of a couple young moms and a few grandparents.

Lake loves the pool...although not quite ready to put his head under. He went down the kiddy slide, laughing all the way, having such a blast. He really likes the river current part of the pool and after a few times around with me holding him he was comfortable enough to float in his life jacket by himself...with me just inches behind him. He's getting so brave! One of the things I like about Portland Parks and Rec is that they provide life jackets and I don't have to worry about getting/bringing one myself.

And to be clear...I'm not going to let a little rain stop us from our 52 Week Challenge!

In addition to my own 52 Week Challenge, I remembered that I am also part of the Hike it Baby 10K Woman Trail Project. The 10,000 Women Trail Project, is an initiative to get women and girls on trails all across North America. The goal is to encourage women to bring female friends and family on a trail at least once a month.I totally can do that, already did it this month, with hike #2 and see no problem being able to make this goal as long as I keep going/hosting Hike it Baby hikes. My last hike on Tuesday there were two newbies who had never been on a HIB Hike and four of us total.

The other challenge I discovered and joined this week was the 52 Hike Challenge. From their web page: The 52 Hike Challenge is a global movement empowering you to take a personal journey to discover the physical, mental and spiritual benefits gained though hiking once a week for an entire year. Again, I feel like this challenge fits in perfectly with the challenges I've already set for myself for this year. And, it's another way to help me stay motivated and accountable.


Hike #2
Date: Tuesday January 9th, 2018
Place: Hoyt Arboretum
Route: Loop - Spruce Trail to Redwood Trail
Distance: 1+ miles (I forgot to track the miles, this is best guess by the group)

This was my first time hosting a Hike it Baby hike. I was happy to have three other women with their kiddos join Lake and I on our hike. I picked this trail because I was feeling a bit homesick for Humboldt and I hoped a stroll though the Redwoods would cheer me up. Have to say that although it was beautiful, there is nothing like an old growth grove in Northern California. The Redwoods in the arboretum were not the towering giants with their humongous trunks that I am used to seeing, at least not in the old growth groves. But they did have those split rail fences that seem so iconic of the Redwood parks in California, and for some reason that made me happy.




The hike was short, Lake still had tons of energy...and we were in Washington Park where it was $5 day at the zoo. So off we went to the zoo, were we almost had the place to ourselves. I was surprised that there were not more people taking advantage of the discount day...I guess there was rain predicted, although we did not have to deal with any. We must have added another 2-3 miles to our day walking around that place. Lake is finally old enough to start noticing the animals, which is nice, because that means that I can start noticing the animals, instead of chasing after my small squirrel child.

These are the pictures that were taken of us by the folks at the zoo, that I did not buy, hence the watermark. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $15 for one picture. We're cute though.


No comments:

Post a Comment