Monday, July 26, 2010

Entry from Freedom Gardens blog


Entry from Freedom Gardens blog
I bought a house a couple of years ago, yep, right before the bottom fell out of the market.  I've been lucky enough to be able to hold on to the house, but if I could manage to get more food out of my garden and spend less at the stores, that sure would help.  We have a pretty good sized yard with the house on the NE corner of the lot leaving quite a bit of land with southern and western exposure.

Right after we moved in I got "A Slice of Organic Life" edited by Sheherazade Goldsmith....it's a fantastic book full of beautiful pictures and quick, easy tips and directions for projects that help bring one's life more in line with an organic self-sufficient one.  I love it and have read it cover to cover getting all sorts of ideas....4-square gardening, worm composting, bees, water catchment, blueberries and so much more.

Then, through a friend on Facebook, I was introduced to the Dervaes Family and their Urban Homestead.  Everything I read just excited me more.  Another friend showed me the River Cottage website, another very exciting small farm/homesteading site in England.  In addition, we have a very healthy farmer's market with farmers who are more than eager to share tips and advice.

I now have a goal to do what I can to make our yard into our own little urban homestead.

I'm interested in connecting with other local urban homesteaders and folks with hobby farms.

1 comment:

  1. Go garden girl! I'm having fun with my little urban garden too, but I kinda suck at it, especially this year with the veggies. Beginners luck last year I guess. Got great flowers tho. They are a joy.

    ReplyDelete