Thursday, November 22, 2012

Sonogram


Thursday November 8th, 2012. 
Chris showed up at my place a bit after 12 noon, I fed him some leftovers for lunch and we had a good talk while he was eating.  First, I asked him again if he really was sure that he could go through with giving the baby to Jillian and I.  He assured me that it is the right thing for him to do and it was what both he and April wanted.  Then, I let him know that I would honor and support what ever decision he made in regards to how involved he wanted to be with the child.  He's a great guy and I look forward to having him around.

We jumped in the truck and headed up to Arcata.  A quick stop at April's work to drop off Chris' bike and then out to Mad River Hospital.  April was checking in and we joined her at the desk.  Within minutes the tech was calling April's name and we headed back to the exam room.  I kind of thought that there would be a question, or at least a glance or something from the tech when all three of us followed her into the room, but nothing, just felt normal and accepting. 

April laid on the table, pulled up her shirt and pushed her pants down.  The tech squirted a bunch of gel on her belly....a bunch...and then she put the wand in it, rubbing the gel around and looking for April's uterus.  Pretty much right away I could see an image on the screen and once the tech started pointing out features, "there's a spine, a head, legs, feet," I could make out a tiny little human!  Tears were running down my face, I was so amazed and in awe.  I walked around the bed, held April's hand and stared at the monitor.

The night before I had looked up pictures on the internet of what a 12 week old baby looks like, April thought that was about how far along she was. The tech took measurements, the thigh bone, the torso, the circumference of the head....I am so happy for my biology/nursing background, I love being a science geek...I was just as amazed at the wonder of pregnancy and fetal development as I was overwhelmed that I was going to be Mom to this little being.  After doing all the measurements, the tech had an answer, the baby was 17 weeks and 1 day old...due on April 17, 2013.  What a surprise, almost half way through the pregnancy! 

Then, our tech asked us if we wanted to know the sex of the baby?  She warned us that it was a bit early, they usually don't look until 20 weeks....but she moved the wand around April's abdomen  until we could see, a thigh on either side, no dangly bits, its a girl!


Baby's first picture - spine on top, head to the left, legs and feet on the right.


Profile view, hand in front of face.
Look at our little alien sea monkey!
The cutest little feet of all time.



No comments:

Post a Comment