Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Week 6 of my 52 Week Challenge





This week we drove up to Washington and hiked to Woodburn Falls, and we went for a second hike with Lake's school.  We also played at two new parks, neither of which was 'planned' in our schedule.


Hike and Park #6
Date: February 6, 2018
Place: Lacamas Lake, WA
Route: Woodburn Falls, Lake Loop
Distance: 3 miles

The drive to Lacamas Lake is an easy one, about 30 minutes from our house, up the 205 then east on the 14 to Camas, WA. We met up with folks in the parking lot for Lacamas Park, and hiked around Round Lake with a short detour to see Woodburn Falls. There are three bodies of water at this location, the largest is Lacamas Lake, to the south of that is Round Lake which is separated from Mill Pond by a dam.  The trail was mostly flat/very slight incline, with a little downhill, and then up, from the main trail to and from the falls themselves.

This was the largest group of hikers yet! Anna and her kiddo made it again, a few seasoned HiB hikers and two new families. I was reminded that I owe my parents some thanks for giving me the outdoor experience of my childhood. A) It gave me a lifelong love and appreciation for nature, and B) it gave me experience such that I know how to hike, what to expect one the trail, what to bring, or not bring...things I kind of take for granted now. It was nice to be able to support and share with new hikers.


The timing for this hike was fantastic, nice dry, chilly winter weather and the volume of water in the creek was as was just right for a beautiful site. The falls were totally worth it.


Back at the trailhead there is a playground and one of the ways I kept Lake moving on the trail, was to tell him he could play there once we got back. I always bring more than enough food and water for the day and we didn't have anything else to do, so we had no reason not to stop at the playground....and it meets the Challenge for the week for visiting a new playground/park per week. We stayed for two hours, Lake made a friend and played and played...so much for sore feet.



Hike: Bonus hike - we've been here before
Date: Wednesday February 7, 2018
Place: Lower Macleay Trail - Witch's Castle
Route: Out and back
Distance: 2.7 miles

On Wednesday Lake's playschool class meet at the Lower Macleay Trailhead and took a hike to the Witch's Castle and back. Lake and I have done this hike once before, last year on Halloween. I really like the old stone structure, it looks so well built and yet abandon long ago. Last fall the trees were in full color, dropping leaves like crazy, it was beautiful. I was happy to return to this trail and see how the area looks in the winter. Now, the trees are covered in emerald moss, bare limbs letting in the winter light.


Lake's class quickly separated into two groups, the handful that included Lake ran ahead, and the other ones, who enjoyed the scenery. We all met up again and explored the old stone castle together. On the way back the kids separated again, and then gathered together for story time and snack at the end/beginning of the trail. I'm sure we'll come back to this trail again, maybe in the spring to see flowers and bright green leaves.



Park #7
Date: Wednesday February 7, 2018
Place: The Fields Park, 1099 NW Overton St.



On the way home from our hike with Lake's class, I took a couple 'wrong' turns and found myself driving around a part of The Pearl that I don't think I've been to before. I could tell Lake still had some energy to work off so when I saw a park with a playground on the corner, with parking, I pulled over. The Fields Park has a great view of the 405crossing the Willamette River, the Fremont Bridge. I have a fondness for the industrial, it's part of what I like about living in the city.

While we were there, kids from some type of school program, or maybe it was an after-school program, came pouring into the playground. There was a mixture of ages, but all were older than Lake. A group of boys started a chase-ball-throwing game and Lake was all about it. He chased them around the play area, even into the field that is the dog park before I could stop him. He wanted so bad to be included in the group and had the tenacity to keep trying. He never got the ball, but the older boys seemed ok with Lake chasing after them. One thing for sure, he did run off a bunch of energy....and fell fast asleep in the car on the way home.



No comments:

Post a Comment