Monday, February 26, 2018

Week 8 of my 52 Week Challenge - Two Hikes, Three Museums


Week 8 of 52 Week Challenge

Busy week! Sometime I don't realize just how much we do in a week until it's time to sit down and write about it. It never feels like it too much in the moment, we get to see and experience so much. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm so glad that G and I were already fully committed to moving to Portland when we learned that we were going to be parents. Five months earlier and we might never have made the move, and we would have missed out on so many opportunities for Lake, for all of us. I love Humboldt, and I know we would have rocked it there too. I know many awesome Humboldt parents rocking it right now...and still I'm super happy we made the move.

This post will start with a bonus hike from week 7 and then cover the hike and park for week 8. In addition, this week we visited two history museums and the Chinese gardens.



On Wednesday last week we took a drive up to Christina and Bobby's  in Washington and got to go along with Bobby's nature pre-school for the day. It seems similar to the Free Forest School, with an opening intro and song, a hike with a few nature things pointed out, and snacks free play after.
Lake is not crazy about the Oaki suit, but I'm glad I put it on him because we experienced the full range of spring weather, sunshine to big ol' raindrops. And because his suit looked awesome with the others, I think we had most all the Oaki colors represented.


Hike #8
Date: February 15, 2018
Place: Morse Wildlife Preserve, WA
Route: Boardwalk loop; Douglas Fir loop
Distance: 1.6 miles








Park #9
Date: February 20, 2018
Place: Marshall Park

This was originally scheduled as Hike it Baby hike, but due to a combination of snow, road conditions and life we had our second week of no-show. We almost didn't go, but the roads weren't as bad as they could have been and I'm so glad we ventured out. The snow was beautiful and made perfect snow balls. Lake and I decided to hang out at the park and play and count this our new-park-for-the-week. I decided to reschedule this hike the following week and look forward to checking out the trails in this canyon.







 

First of the two museums we visited was the Organ Historical Society downtown. Someone recently asked me if I enjoyed the exhibits at the museum, and I told her that when one has a young child, one does not get to read about the pictures or artifacts or history of the exhibits...but that what I did see, I liked. To knowledge Black History Month I made sure we went through the current exhibit Racing to Change: Oregon’s Civil Rights Years. He's too young to understand very much, but I remind Lake that humans come in all shades and one color is not better than another.

After the Historical Society, we walked three blocks down to the building currently, but not for long, known as the Wells Fargo Building. The building recently sold, and although Wells Fargo is going to be renting the office and banking space back, they are not going to keep their very cool Wells Fargo History Museum on the second floor. The attendant was obviously happy to see us and gave us a coin/token book, two tokens, a coin bank, coloring book and croyons. There were several interactive things for Lake to enjoy, a ride on one of those coin operated ones you sometimmes see outside grocery stores, only this one was free. There was a telegraph to try, checks to cancel, pictures in front of the big coach and lots to look at. As of right now, they do not know where they will be moving the museum, I sure hope they find a place, because that was great.






Friday was coming fast and we still had not gone on our hike for the week. I made a quick change of plans and decided instead of going to Free Forest School to fit in one more cultural event for the month as well as a hike. We stopped at Lan Su Chinese Gardens and learned a little about Chinese New Year and saw some amazing floats and smelled the first of the spring flowers.








And finally, our last adventure for this week, we headed to Marquam Nature park, up behind OHSU. I was surprised at how much snow was still on the ground up there, it's was so pretty. Lake did not want to go hiking...so we "went for a walk to help mommy warm up"...1.3 mile walk. The trail starts to climb right away, up what is apparently an old road, although it was hard to tell with all the snow. It then took a sharp right and we followed along a trail cut into the side of the ravine, about half way between the top and the bottom. A fall off the trail and down the hill was a serious concern once or twice as I watched Lake hike along in front of me. Don't get me wrong, he was doing great, he's a surefooted hiker and I had no extra ordinary reason to be worried...just normal mama worry.

The worry is worth it, I'm so happy to be out with him, watching him find his way down the path.

Hike #9
Date: February 23, 2018
Place: Marquam Nature Park
Route: Shelter Loop Trail
Distance: 1.3 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment