Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Photos - road trip



So the other day we took advantage of the sunny weather and went for a drive.  There are so many beautiful places to see in Humboldt County, trying to decide where to go is always a challenge. I pulled up a map of Humboldt on google maps and took a look...Fruitland. map  Made me giggle a little, so that's where we headed.  I studied the map to find as many 'alternative' routes to our destination as I could.  Found a road on the map that turned off 101 at Stafford that looked good....and another one off the Avenue of the Giants  south of Berlington going into Weott.  The turn off to Fruitland is just south of there.  Truthfully, I really didn't have plans pasted Fruitland, I guess I thought we'd turn around.  I did study the surrounding area a bit on the map and printed out what I thought we'd need, since I was pretty sure the cell phone, and therefore my imap app wouldn't work out there.
It was a great drive...even though we took neither of the 'alternative' routes, other than Avenue of the Giants - which was still great since Jillian hadn't even driven on it before.  The only thing that indicated Fruitland itself, was a sign for the volunteer fire department, I don't even think we saw a post office, but we did come to an intersection in the road and had to make a choice.  Turn around and go back the way we came, or keep going and hope the missing section of my printed out map did indeed connect the road that we were on with the one we wanted to be on to get home.  We bravely adventured ahead.  The condition of the road had gotten worse and worse the further off Avenue of the Giants we drove...and now it was dirt....perhaps we should have turned around?  Keep going, I told myself, still plenty of light and if we have to, we can still turn around and head back the way we came....the road, although dirt, wasn't too bad.  I sure did miss my Pathfinder though, with it's 4WD and all, would have made me feel just a little bit better/safer.  Eventual we came up on a sign that read Road Closed...bummer, guess we were turning around!  However, as we drove closer, we figured out that it was a sign for the road turning East off off the one we were traveling.  As I inched the car forward we looked down the road and Whoa!  We could see a road/bridge across the Eel River and it was all washed out, rather over, the river was flowing right over the road, no wonder there was a road closed sign. 
But it gave me the landmark I needed to find ourselves on the map again...we were at the turn off for McCann on the Dyerville Loop, sure felt good to 'know' where we were again, I love the adventure, but I really didn't want to get us lost.  
We kept driving and around the corner we saw a beautiful waterfall, two actually, coming off different sides of the hill and merging right there at the side of the road.  We stopped and took a few pictures, pretty isn't it?  I just love it here!



No comments:

Post a Comment