Friday, August 27, 2010

Sunshine, Gardens and Babies

Seems to be all I can think about - sunshine, garden and babies....I'm having a very difficult time keeping my mind on work.  I don't know if it's the lack of any sales/marketing training and management at my work, but my desire for work is about nill.  If I weren't getting paid as well as I am, I'm sure I would have figured out something more exciting to do with my life.  I need a manager who is going to be a little more interactive with me.  I mean, sure, it's great to help local businesses and being on commission means that I can give myself a raise (and I certainly don't mean to downplay how awesome that really is)....but I need encouragement and little pats on the head when I've done well....I need someone to ask me what my goals are and then follow up with me about those....I need gold stars.

So much of my job is an uphill battle trying to let people know that I do want to help them, I want their marketing and advertising to work for them as an investment not just take their money...but at this point I've pretty much lost my patience and I just think business owners are too scared and don't want to really want to know about advertising or how it works.  They obviously went into business, not to think about marketing, but to do whatever it is that they 'love'.....I try to show them that owning a business and not advertising is like throwing a party and not sending out invitations...can't really be surprised by either when no one shows up.

The pressure of creating a successful advertising campaign is great....we have no real way in radio to prove that it is working.  Radio tends to be a slow builder...it's a great way for businesses to get info to people before they need them, but unless the offer is fantastic, it's not that great at immediate results.

I've been doing this for almost 11 1/2 years....I'm unsatisfied.  But who am I to bitch....I have a job, a good paying one...it affords me my newish car, my house payments, I get to go to music concerts and festivals and eat good food, I feed the animals and pay my bills...and I have time for the Imps and other extra activities....just no drive for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment